Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Irresponsible Politics

Our Governor is trying to balance the budget by closing some of our parks, and reducing life guard coverage at many beaches, including a couple of my favorite and most-used surf spots. With the over-developement of Southern California, every park and protected area we can get away to, away from the concrete and car exhaust, is worth far more than the almost insignificant $13 million in reported savings. I hope they dont increase the price for the annual passes also. When I moved here 6 years ago, it was about $30, now is what, $120? I can understand the need to reduce spending, but theres a lot of other places that need cuts that will save a significant amount of money compared to this.

More info here

Edit: I was reading Warbles and got to thinking. As long as they dont cut off all access, that would be pretty nice! I can walk accross the sand without watching for broken glass and other trash left over from the crowds! Fewer pasty-white tourists to dodge. Dare I hope that the surf schools will go away too? looks like the beaches will all stay open though, just with fewer lifeguards.

No comments: